Looking for Linux Cell Phone/PDA Recommendation

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Wed May 30 10:17:41 MST 2007

On Wed, 23 May 2007, Mark Phillips wrote:

> > On Wed, 23 May 2007, Mark Phillips wrote:
> > > I am looking for a new cell phone/pda - I am tired of carrying two
> > > devices when one should suffice.

I am also in need of a new PDA smart phone.

Below is the beginnings of my research. Please share your advice.

Do you have any suggestions for a new PDA/cell phone combination?
And also suggestion for the wireless provider for the PDA?

I have been using a SideKick 2 for almost 14 months.

Like the SideKick, I want a PDA that had long battery life (maybe
36 hours for me), has instant messenger, multiple email accounts,
convenient size, web browser, good qwerty keyboard, SMS phone
messages, and SSH client.

It would be nice to also have 802.11b Wi-Fi (like iPAQ h6315) or USB
but not required.  I also use the camera but that is not important.
The most important is to have reliable internet access throughout
the United States and reliable SMS phone messages. (I rarely will
use it as a real phone as I use a different cell phone for that.)

SMS phone messages are becoming way to unreliable with my Sidekick
(or maybe T-Mobile) so I need an alternative.

I am trying to review several websites but I can't find a single
webpage that lists features and shows pictures.

Here are some links:

Recent top 10 list
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,125397-page,1/article.html

PDA / Cellphone Combinations by Wireless Provider
http://palmtops.about.com/od/pdacellphonecombinations/a/Smartphones.htm

Top 10 Cellphone / PDA Combinations
http://palmtops.about.com/cs/productreviews/tp/top_phone_pda.htm

Comparison table
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone

Here is the beginning of my research:

Audiovox Pocket PC
PPC-6600 and XV6600 keyboard looks too small but haven't tried yet
Looks like PPC-6600 has a SSH client

BlackBerry 8700g
$400
T-mobile EDGE network
has instant messenger
there is SSH client for blackberry

HTC TyTN Smartphone
Cingular 8525??
looks like SideKick a little
I think it is Windows Mobile so should have a SSH client available
Xandadux is a Linux ported to some HTC devices but maybe not this one
Maybe HTC Athena?

ipaq with keyboard?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipaq
some ipaq's can run Linux

iphone?

LG enV.
?

Motorola Q
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_Q
$300 with 2 year contract (Verizon)
hard to use keyboard
five hours of talk time
SSH client is available

Nokia n73 or n95

Road S101
http://road-gmbh.de/en/produkte/index_02.html
Runs Linux with qtopia
This looks amazing

Samsung SPH-i73
Samsung BlackJack or SGH-i607
ssh is available

SideKick 3
$300 with 2 year contract
nine hours of talk time
ssh is available

Sony Ericsson smartphone
maybe p990
many features: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Ericsson_P990#Reviews
ssh is available

Treo 700p
Palm
$650 with 2 year contract
Sprint network
five hours battery life (too little)
ssh is available

Xda IIs
http://www.my-xda.com/
maybe same as HTC?

I also saw at Verizon store a device that looks like a Sidekick.
But I don't know what it is.