COX Communications Sucks (Was: moving e-mail)

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Tue May 29 20:44:35 MST 2007

On 5/29/07, Kevin Brown <kevin_brown at qwest.net> wrote:

> >    It may surprise many that the U.S. is considered to be relatively
> > behind in terms of broadband penetration and market maturity( aka.
> > affordability ).  In my view, this situation is due entirely to our
> > current regulation policy.
> >
> >    http://www.freepress.net/docs/bbrc2-final.pdf
> >
> >    "In Japan, symmetrical 100Mbps connections are available for less
> > than $35 per month"
> >
> >    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060913-7731.html
>
> They also have half the population of the US crammed onto islands the
> size of California and a huge chunk of that land is unusable (mt. Fuji).
>   With such a high density it is much easier to build the infrastructure
> and their culture supports the idea of the upgrades (workers can work
> longer hours via telecommuting).  Look at the difference in cell phone
> technologies.  Most people I know here in the states prefer to replace a
> damaged phone with a similar model and tend to keep a phone till it dies
> before replacing it.  In Japan it is normal to replace a perfectly
> working phone with a new model with new features every 6 months.

  true, but remember: the technology was developed here, we are the
supposedly the wealthiest and most advanced nation on earth, and we have
pumped billions in tax money into communications infrastructure development(
the infrastructure is there, its the 'legendary last mile' that is the
problem ).  Remember the 'Information Superhighway'?  There is no doubt that
there are political dimensions to this seemingly technological problem.
There is the 'digital divide' scenario, and there is the general issues of
the telco monopoly holding residential areas hostage.

  Its true that the Japanese are quite crazy when it comes to electronics...
and keep in mind the US is not trailing right behind Japan, it rates below a
number of European and Asian countries in broadband deployment.  In my view
there is no excuse for this.  There is something wrong when these mega-telco
companies simultaneously plead to the public for policy concessions while
their stock valuation goes through the roof.

  -jmz

--
.0000. communication.
.0001. development.