Procmail problems

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Tue May 29 19:25:07 MST 2007

Nathan Aubrey wrote:
> All,
>
> I switched from mbox files to maildir folders on my mail server. I can access
> all my messages and everything seems to be working, except... procmail
>
> Current .procmailrc in my home directory is this:
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> MAILDIR=${HOME}/.Maildir
> DEFAULT=$HOME/.Maildir/
> LOGFILE=$HOME/procmail.log
>
> :0:
>

> Spam goes straight to my inbox and I cannot get anything to be filtered.
> Any help?

No guarantees, but this is what works for me:

# The mail directory
MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail

# My main mailbox
DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/

:0
spam-mail/

The reason I have a split mailbox and mail directory is that I use
courier imap inside of my maildir and it requires a specific naming
convention that I just didn't want to deal with directly.  So I put all
of my mailboxes in $HOME/Mail and just make symlinks into $HOME/Maildir
when necessary.

My spam mail goes into $HOME/Mail/spam-mail/{cur,new,tmp}.  I don't
specify a complete path since procmail will append the mailbox to my
MAILDIR path.

Works for me!

Kurt