OT - Cheep wireless cameras

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Mon May 28 23:06:53 MST 2007

Sounds like a fun project.  I have some working/academic experience in
Computer Vision/Surveillance.  Here is a 100$ Infrared cam on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wireless-IP-Internet-WiFi-Camera-Network-CAM-Night_W0QQitemZ140121399059QQihZ004QQcategoryZ4616QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

  People should be more aware of how cheap surveillance technology has
become( especially CV systems ).  They are far more prevalent than most
people realize.  London has 1 CCTV camera for every 14 people[0].  Oh, and
keep in mind that there are many regulations that deal with the use of such
technology.  There was one incident where someone used such a camera on
police officers and was sued (on what grounds is beyond me).  It is illegal
to use a radio bug for '*surreptitious* purposes' ( don't ask me what other
kinds of purposes radio bugs have ). Surveillance and Privacy issues are
bound to be some of the most important for years to come.

  there is also this place:

  http://www.scottsdalespyshop.com/

  there is also a place called 'Spy World' in downtown Phoenix but they
apparently have zero internet presence or a really bad SEO company.

 -jmz

 [0] http://www.boingboing.net/2004/05/23/wifi_surveillance_ca.html

On 5/28/07, Bryan O'Neal <BONeal at cornerstonehome.com> wrote:

>  Q) Any one have a recommendation on a few cheep wireless cameras?  I
> would like to upgrade my home security (aka catch the street rat children
> that egged my house) I don't care if it is color or black and white, but I
> do need power to be suitable enough that I don't have to change the
> batteries but once a month and want the quality to be good enough to
> identify a persons face at 15 feet, and I want the wireless receiver to be
> about 25 ft away through two walls.  Any suggestions?.
> Since the camera view is of the outside of my house, I don't care if it is
> secure or not. They will be mounted under eves so water proof is not
> required but water and sun resistant would be a big plus.

.0000. communication.
.0001. development.
.0010. strategy.
.0100. appeal.