How to copy files between computers on an ethernet switch?

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Thu May 24 08:36:07 MST 2007

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 10:35:00PM -0700, Jeremy Miller wrote:
> I think Jon is right. The reason I, and I assume Darrin, recommended
> using ssh tools was because there is no setup involved. I have used
> those tools many times on my network just because I didn't need a
> permanent solution to justify the setup, and that is the same
> impression I get from the question.

Yes. It's (probably) overkill, but the tools are there, many users
already have familiarity with them, and there's little or no setup
involved.

NFS or Samba or similar are better/faster solutions if you commonly
share files across computers, but require setup. Samba is nice if your
Windows friends come over and plug in their laptop.

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/