How to determine which video card driver to use?

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Mon May 21 11:19:13 MST 2007

.
On my flat panel monitor (Sony model SDM HS93) the screen is
way "too bright."  I have tried every setting possible to turn
down the brightness, but without success.

Now, I wonder if the problem may be that I am using the wrong
video driver setting.  But I don't know how to determine what
driver I should be using.  The system's hardware detection
displays the following:

Graphic card: S3 86C375 (VIRGE/DX)

Identification: Vendor: S3 Inc.
Media class: DISPLAY_VGA
Connection: Bus: PCI
Bus PCI #: 0
PCI device #: 12
PCI function #: 0
Vendor ID: 21299
Device ID: 35329
Sub vendor ID: 65535
Sub device ID: 65535
Misc Module: Card:S3 ViRGE (generic)

When I run the config tool, under "Choose an X server"
it lists these options:

Virge (generic)
Virge (old S3V server)
Virge/DX (generic)
Virge/GX (generic)
Virge/GX2 (generic)
Virge/MX (generic)
Virge/MX+ (generic)
Virge/VX (generic)

I'm wondering if I should dry a different driver, perhaps the
Virge (old S3V server) or something else ... or is it risky to
experiment with trying different drivers?

I've searched the 'net, but can't find any information on what
the differences are in these different drivers or which one
might work better with the Sony flat panel monitor.

How can I solve this "too bright" issue?