Which ethernet wires go where

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Fri May 18 17:11:43 MST 2007

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 05:40:55PM -0600, Josef Lowder wrote:
> Into which of the six ports do I connect the 2-wire modem/router?
> Into which of the six ports do I connect the two (or more)
> computers --- i.e. in what sequence?

Typically, you will connect your modem to "uplink" The computers go into
any of the others.

You may have to experiment with your cables. One or more of them may be
"null modem" style cables. Especially if you got one in conjuntion with
a cable/dsl modem or such.

Most modern switches are autosensing, and you can plug in using
straight-through or crossover cables and it won't care. But if you have
an uplink port then that's not the case here.

> I realize that all of this is "automatic" to all of you brilliant
> gurus, but for those of us who have never connected anything like
> this, it is frustrating to try to sort out bits and pieces of
> incomplete information.

Everyone has a first time ;-)

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/