Which ethernet wires go where

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Fri May 18 16:40:55 MST 2007

.
Thanks to everyone who has responded to my several questions
on this subject, but I still do not have any information on
how to hook up this Asante ethernet 5-port hub that I now have
(it actually has six "ports"), and how can I tell if I have the
right kind of cables?  One is red, one is blue, and one is yellow.

I have received bits and pieces of information from several
kind folks (along with a couple of sarcastic rants hinting at
how stupid I am).  I am sorry that I need can't read between
the lines on this, and I have searched the 'net looking for
a wiring diagaram, but have not been able to find one.

As I said, there are actually six "ports" on this Asante hub.
One is labeled "Uplink" and the other five are numbered 1 thru 5.
I have three RJ45 wires, but how can I tell if they are the
correct wires (i.e. straight-thru -vs- crossover)?

When I try to examine the wire colors in the three patch
cords I have, the color combinations seem to be different
from one cord to another and from one end of each cord to
the other.

Into which of the six ports do I connect the 2-wire modem/router?
Into which of the six ports do I connect the two (or more)
computers --- i.e. in what sequence?

I realize that all of this is "automatic" to all of you brilliant
gurus, but for those of us who have never connected anything like
this, it is frustrating to try to sort out bits and pieces of
incomplete information.