Partly OT? How to get past lost administrative password

Jon M. Hanson jon at the-hansons-az.net
Fri May 18 11:25:18 MST 2007

On Friday 18 May 2007 11:22, Josef Lowder wrote:
> .
> My son inherited a Dell desktop computer that is password
> protected so he cannot log-in to gain access to use the system.
>
> What would be the procedure for getting past this administrative
> password so he can make some use of this computer?
>
> Is there a way to turn of passwords in the Dell bios?
> Or, could he use something like "super-grub" to create
> a new boot loader?
>
> I don't think he is concerned about saving any data on the
> HD, but he would like to salvage XP and the programs that
> already exist on this computer.
>
> He would like to try a Linux LiveCD and perhaps to install
> a dual-boot arrangement on the 20-gig HD in this computer
> to begin to get acquainted with Linux.
>
> What would be the best course of action to solve this?

It sounds like there is a BIOS password. If that's the case then you'll have
to clear the BIOS CMOS memory. He'll have to look on Dell's support website
for how to do it for his specific model as the procedure can be different
from computer to computer. Normally it requires opening the case and moving a
jumper so you need to take standard static electricity precautions.

--
Jon M. Hanson (N7ZVJ)
Homepage: http://the-hansons-az.net/
Jabber IM: jon at the-hansons-az.net