microsoft vs. OSS on NPR

Dennis Kibbe dennisk at fastmail.fm
Fri May 18 09:23:30 MST 2007

From: Alex Dean <alex at crackpot.org>
Subject: microsoft vs. OSS on NPR
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 17:04:33 -0700

> The 'top of the hour' rundown on NPR says they'll be running a story
> later about Microsoft's patent rumblings.  I haven't heard it yet, but
> I'll be listening.  Their stories are also on npr.org if your local
> station doesn't carry All Things Considered.
>
> alex

The M$-Novell deal (as much as we know since some of it is still secret) s a protection racket pue and simple.  "Buy our sanctified version of GNU/Linux or you may find youself in trouble."

Eben Moglen addresses this in a short video clip from this year's Red Hat Summit.  There is a copy on YouTube and a link to it and the transcript on today's Groklaw.

M$ is actually distributing Linux (even under GPLv2) via the coupons they are selling and if they continue to sell the coupons after GPLv3 software appears in SUSE they will be required by the license to convey the patent protection to all GNU/Linux users.

Dennisk