gig network again

David daz at damnetwork.net
Thu May 17 12:23:04 MST 2007

On Thu, 17 May 2007, Jon M. Hanson wrote:

>> So, the question:  Will my kernels negaotiate a 1G connection if the
>> cables are not gig qualified?   If not, then I need to look at something
>> other than the network hardware (unless I just got really crappy
>> equipment).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> David
>>
> The kernel doesn't do any negotiation for the LAN speed. That's done by
> the cards themselves.
>
> I'm confused by your test results. Are you trying to test the speed by
> doing this copy over NFS?

yeah, sorry for the ambiguity.   My scp results were even worse, so I
wanted to see if the HD on the server was causing any slowdown.  After I
copied the file *to* the nfs share (/home/daz/udaz), I then:

time dd if=/home/daz/udaz/testfile of=/dev/null bs=32k count=32768

Hoping that would eliminate any issues with the hd on the server (for
writes, anyway).  The results were the same, though.  Over 6 minutes.

I'll see about getting new cables (cat 5e or cat6) and test it then.

David

--
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
--Darth Vader