Idea: FSF speaker? (was: Re: New Eben Moglen speech [...])

Mike Schwartz mike.l.schwartz at gmail.com
Wed May 16 13:47:21 MST 2007

On 5/16/07, Dennis Kibbe <dennisk at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> From: "Ben Francom" <bfrancom at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: New Eben Moglen speech available
> Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 06:44:49 -0700
>
> > On 5/16/07, Alan Dayley <alandd at consultpros.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Given at the Red Hat Summit.  I downloaded it last night but have not
> > > watched yet.  I have every confidence that it is worth listening to.
> >

> > Just finished watching it.  He is the man!  One of his main points about
> the
> > Novell-Microsoft deal is, "We're [Gnu/Linux is] an ecological
> system.  If
> > you undermine community defenses, you're undermining the whole
> ecology.  And
> > doing that for the benefit of your customers at the expense of your
> > suppliers is not a good way to stay in business."
>
> Would you like to meet Eben Moglen?  Maybe talk patents with him over
> dinner?  Or discuss Free software with RMS?  Maybe talk to Bruce Perens or
> the OLPC people?  How about programming with Gene Sussman?  All on the
> campus of MIT in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
>
> You can if you make plans to attent the next membership meeting of the
> Free Software Foundation in Boston (approx. March 2008).
>
> It's free and held on the weekend.  USAir has a direct flight for about
> $260USD round trip. The Hotel @ MIT is within warking distance -- where else
> can you log into wifi in your room and be asked if you want a static IP?
>
> With less than 200 attending you'll have plenty of opportunities to talk
> with the people who are shaping the future.
>
> Dennisk

I am not trying to discourage anyone from attending
the FSF meeting;  this is just a different idea, that
popped up, while I was thinking about what DennisK wrote...
    If PLUG (or some other non-profit .org) wants to bring
any of those folks to AZ, to speak,
then I might know a way how we could
[find the money to] pay for the travel expenses;
There is a certain non-profit .org I know of, whose
local members have sorta lost interest
(for about the last 5 years or so),
but whose treasurer still pays dues,
and has the check book,
and in fact that .org has recently (about a year ago)
sponsored (the meeting room fees for) some meetings
of another non-profit .org
(long story... more details available, but
  outside the scope of this post...).
   Also, I seem to recall having some e-mail exhanges
circa late 1992, with Laurie Faith Ackerman (her last
name might be different now) in St Louis.  At that time
RMS was going to be in town anyway for something
else (I think the CS dept was paying for him to fly in,
and speak about Emacs or the history of its development,
something like that), so anyway some group of rebels
(this was before the days of LUGs), maybe it was a
student chapter of ACM
(see my e-mail address)["Reply-To: " header]
was also having RMS as a speaker, which they were
able to do at little or no cost - I guess just the extra
for another day or two in St Louis.  At that time at least,
RMS preferred to stay with someone who wanted a
chance to talk to him - (I guess he considered money
spent on a hotel as, not well spent...)  I am not sure
whether his tastes have changed...  In any event, we
never did get things worked out, for RMS to travel to
AZ, and "while in the area" maybe also squeeze in a
speaking opportunity in LA and/or maybe Denver or
El Paso, or ?...
But maybe now might be the right time...
perhaps before or (probably) after that FSF meeting?
Just an idea,
from
--
Mike Schwartz