m$ wants royalties on sketchy patents

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon May 14 06:07:54 MST 2007

moin moin,

Microsoft hasn't come through on what patents are being used because once
they do it will be shown that Microsoft is wrong about the patent use (
invalid patents, patents not actually being used, etc. ) or the Free
Software community will work around the patents.

Maybe software patents will even finally be thrown out. Software patents
aren't valid in Europe, China or India[0], so the Microsoft claims is
holding back the US economy and ceding an innovative advantage to other
countries.

The purpose of patents is to keep others from using the patents. Microsoft
not saying which patents are being infringed interferes with the Free
Software community removing any offending code. The Free Software
community tries to abide by copyright and patent law. Microsoft has been
sued multiple times for specific copyright infringement[1]. It needs to
list specific patent infringements or stop whining.

"Microsoft's explanation is that this balancing payment was calculated
as it would be in any cross-licensing deal: Novell has valuable
network-computing patents that Microsoft products may infringe, and
since Microsoft's products bring in so much more revenue than Novell's,
Microsoft owed a balance.[2]"

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer says, "What's fair is fair.[2]" Interesting
phrase from the CEO of a company that 1) has been convicted multiple times
of illegally maintaining a monopoly[3], 2) has successfully sued multiple
times for copyright infringement, 3) admits it has infringed on patents
from others.

And, of course, groklaw already has something better than what I can come
up with[4].

Gotta love, "4. What kind of companies threaten to hurt you if you don't
pay them protection money? Do you want to do business with that type of
company? Can Microsoft risk that inevitable reaction?"

[0] Any other countries that should be listed? What countries do allow
software patents?

[1] Anyone got a list of the copyright infringement suits m$ has lost?

[2] http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/05/28/100033867/index.htm

[3] Anyone got a list of the specific convictions and a listing of how
they've

[4] http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20070513234519615

ciao,

der.hans
#  veni, vidi, wiki - I came, I saw, I documented