cryptofaq

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Sun May 13 13:24:30 MST 2007

Am 13. May, 2007 schwätzte Darrin Chandler so:

> On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 01:45:04AM -0700, der.hans wrote:
>> moin moin,
>>
>> just what Phoenix needs, more heat.
>>
>> http://www.sixdemonbag.org/cryptofaq.html
>>
>> ciao,
>>
>> der.hans
>
> I'm admittedly a little slow this morning, but I haven't made any
> connection between Phoenix and that web page. Interesting read, but I'm
> curious what the connection is...

There isn't one that I know of. We get questions about SSH and GPG on the
list. I think that FAQ will be useful for those interested in knowing more
about what types of keys to use.

The Phoenix comment was about the heat generation from throwing out bits.

http://www.sixdemonbag.org/cryptofaq.html#entropy

Guess I should've given more intro into why I was posting the link.

It made sense to me that anyone who'd read it would find it interesting. I
guess I just forgot that I was posting the link for people who hadn't yet
read it...

For those who haven't yet looked at the link the author describes
relationships between different types of problems and how they apply to
cryptography. He also goes into the resources needed for brute force
cracking of keys and uses that back up his opinions on the viability of
brute force cracking of keys.

At the end he makes recommendations for what types of ciphers to use and
how many bits to have in a key for the ciphers and includes some
explanation of why he makes the recommendations.

ciao,

der.hans
#  "But you could teach these skills to a high-school student, and you could
#  probably teach them to an artist."  -- Richard Roberts