Running as Root

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu May 10 17:53:17 MST 2007

On Thu, 10 May 2007, Bryan O'Neal wrote:

> Ok, can some one tell me why when I log in as root I can run ifconfig
> but when I log in as user and su to root I can not run ifconfig?  I have
> a similar issue with snort and a few other apps.  I want to stop running
> as root when I am messing with my test box, but FC6 is making it
> difficult.

I am guessing it is just an execute path problem.

When you login as root and when you su as root, look at output of:

 id

 echo $PATH

 which ifconfig

If if it a path problem, then  you can use "su -l" or just set the path or
use the full path to your commands.

> Also, why is it when I log in as root and run synergys I can move my
> mouse freely across all my screens, but why it runs as itself (init'ed)
> or as some other user I am locked to the FC screen when a menu is down,
> or beryl is doing it's preview thing, etc.  I want synergys to work as
> well as it does when root but without having to log in as root.

I don't know about that. I don't know that software.

  Jeremy C. Reed