How to make a computer turn itself on at a scheduled time?

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Tue May 8 22:07:36 MST 2007

.
How can one make a computer turn itself on at a scheduled time?

While I leave my computer on 24x7, I'd like to set up my wife's
computer to come on at 6 am so it will be all ready for her to
check her email in the morning before she leaves for work, and
then (with power management) have it turn itself off an hour after
she stops using it (when she leaves to go to work for the day).
No sense having it run 24x7 when she only uses it for about a
half hour every day.

Yes, of course she can turn it on and off, but it would be great
to make this automatic.