Thunderbird won't send -- also bad type font

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Tue May 8 21:58:49 MST 2007

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 10:48:36PM -0600, Josef Lowder wrote:
> > Under Account Settings: scroll all of the way to the bottom and
> > select "Outgoing Server (SMTP). Fix your Outgoing Server Setting if needed.
>
> Thanks for responding ... but "fix" it to what?
> The settings are the same as worked on my wife's previous computer.
> Even so, upon someone's suggestion, I tried changing the port from
> the default 25 to 587 and that also did not work.

If you really have the same settings that worked elsewhere (and I'm sure
you've stared at it enough to know), then something fishy must be going
on...

> > Under "View" -> "Text Size" you can reduce or enlarge the text in
> > the message window.
>
> I am able to increase the size of the font, but it is a very
> unsatisfactory font (in the text body) and I can't find any way
> to change the font style under "view."  I don't understand why
> Thunderbird would use a different font in the message body than
> the font used in the "To" "From" and "Subject" fields.

You can make permanent changes under, er, Tools -> Preferences and hunt
down the right tab for fonts and stuff. It sounds like it's trying to
find a font and getting the "closest" match and doing a very bad job of
it. Or something fishy is going on...

All told, it sounds like you've got a bad package of some sort. Not sure
what distro you're using, but you might see if there are other T-bird
packages. I've used tbird on different Linux distros, on Windows, on
OpenBSD, and I've never had any weird problems like this. That's why I
suspect it's a rotten tomato you've got there.

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/