hardlinks

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Tue May 8 14:58:41 MST 2007

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 01:59:55PM -0700, Dan Lund wrote:
> > 2. Use software such as dump, which backs up the actual filesystem
> > structure, and as such, will not use any more space. Then you can put
> > your dump on tape.
> >
> I'm looking into this route right now... just trying to find 1.7Tb of
> diskspace free.

Well, Jeremy confirms that pax & tar do the right thing with multiple
hardlinks. You should be able to use those and go straight to tape,
without making an intermediate tarball.

> I just contacted CommVault technical support and they said that the
> hardlinks are backed up as actual files and restored as links to
> preserve the integrity of the data on the backup.
> I call BS.

Not surprising. Complete BS.

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/