Ubuntu PATA driver issue?

vodhner at cox.net vodhner at cox.net
Tue May 8 11:35:08 MST 2007

Thanks, Bryan.  Apparently nobody has anything to add . . .

My friend downloaded the latest daily and still no dice.
He's booting with a CD in a DVD device, and gets the
initial menu -- install / check CD / etc.  If you select any
of those options, it fails as described below, because it
can't see that same CD that it booted from.

He demonstrated the problem to me on Sunday.  Ends
up at a busybox prompt.  I tried a few incantations to
query /dev/hdd but could not think of anything meaningful.

So maybe as you say he should try 6.06 and see if it works
any better.  He was not dead set on 7.04.

I'm happily running 7.04 now, but X was broken when
I finished upgrading so I had to do a fresh install.

I do my Linux desktop installs on a single partition,
and keep all my "stuff" elsewhere, so I was able to trash
that partition and start over.  I've now learned that it's
good to keep a list of the desired packages around
so I can download them all at once.

Still no &)(*#$#!!! MIDI capability for my sound card, and
apparently nobody can recommend a sound card with
decent drivers for MIDI.  But I'm doing great with ripping
and playing MP3s with grip and lame; that went really
very smoothly once I knew the following:

  Encoder executable:  /usr/bin/lame

  Encoder command-line:  -m j --clipdetect --preset extreme -q 0 --vbr-new -V 0 -b %b %w %m

  Encode file extension:  mp3

  Encode file format:  ~/mp3/%A/%d/%n.mp3

Thanks for the support,

Vic

---- Bryan O'Neal <BONeal at cornerstonehome.com> wrote:

Well, I see that there are only two real choices (not being masochistic
enough to try and force a fix) You can either wait for the fixed install
CD to be released, or install a prior version (like 6.06) and upgrade to
7.04.

What does every one else say, is there an easer solution?