Linux/FOSS "PR" mgmt (was: Re: Ubuntu PATA driver issue?)

Mike Schwartz mike.l.schwartz at gmail.com
Mon May 7 16:58:29 MST 2007

On 5/4/07, vodhner at cox.net <vodhner at cox.net> wrote:

> A friend of mine (a very competent Windows-based engineer who tries Linux
> frequently but hasn't done real well yet) just tried to bring up Ubuntu and
> ran into this problem:
>
> > I decided to try ubuntu on my Linux system get an impression
> > of how it's presented to a generally knowledgeable but Linux
> > distro challenged user.
>
> > I was partway convinced when you made that choice and then
> > Michael Dell clinched it for me.
>
> > I downloaded the installation CD and tried running it "live" and
> > when that didn't work, I tried plunging ahead and told it to install.
> > In both cases I got the following message at the start of the
> > operation:
>
> > BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-3ubuntu3) Built-in shell (ash)
>
> > Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
>
> > /bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
>
> > (initramfs)
>
> > When I researched this, I found that there are a LOT of reports of
> > this same problem.  I've only gone through one support organization
> > so far but there responses seemed to be overwhelmingly arrogant.
> > Can you suggest a support URL that might be interested in resolving
> > a problem.
>
> > It appears that ubuntu 7.04 was released with bad pata (IDE) drivers
> > in the package.
>
> Any help will be highly appreciated.
>
> Vic
>

> [...] there responses seemed to be overwhelmingly arrogant.

I do not know the answer, but I think this does illustrate,
that one's attitude can have an effect upon the fence-sitting
potential future Gnu/Linux user.
As far as PLUG is concerned (e.g. PLUG-discuss mailing list),
I would say that, with rare exeptions,
this problem ("overwhelmingly arrogant")
usually is not a problem here.
However, I know that it does happen some
other places, and this just goes to show us that
it may be important to "be careful", about what
kind of impression is being made, on the newbie
asker of FAQ's.  (or, "seldom" asked Q.'s).
0.02, from
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale  AZ