Fw: Cannot boot computer - solved

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Mon May 7 10:13:33 MST 2007

.
Problem solved ... see solution recapped at the bottom.

>> joe at actionline.com wrote:
>> I have a Dell GX260 with Intel P-4 2-Gig processor, 512mb ram,
>> 40-gig HD, and XP installed.  After I booted from a Linux
>> live CD and started to install, I defragged and then used
>> Knoppix QTParted to resize the HD to 22-gig for XP and the
>> remainder (about 16-gig) to be used to install Linux.
>> However, when I tried to restart the computer to
>> begin the installation, I have only a blank screen and cannot
>> even get to the bios.   I can't boot from HD, CD, or floppy.

On Mon, 7 May 2007 09:49, Dazed_75 wrote
> If the screen truly remains totally blank, it is virtually
> always either power or a video problem.  I work with those
> models a lot and have seen this issue a few times before and
> 99% of the time it is a simple thing.
>
> Make sure the video cable is not loose or plugged into the wrong
> vga connector (like if you moved the machine).  Many GX260's (like
> the one to my left) have an independent video card and it is very
> easy to plug into the main board vga by mistake.  Or like the one
> to my left, to plug into the wrong plug of the dual head video card.
>
> Check that the power indicator in the middle of the power switch
> button remains green after power up.  If not you might have a bad
> PSU or (much les likely) switch or mainboard.  If it does remain
> green, look at the 4 diagnostic lights above the USB ports on the
> back of the machine.  If they are not all green, go to
> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx260/en/ug/solvprob.htm
> for an interpretation.

After much searching on the Internet, I learned that this is
a known problem with this Dell computer and the solution is to
unplug the computer (and if that doesn't work, to also remove
and reinstall the battery and/or the memory chips), then the Dell
will see the bios again.  This may need to be done more than once.

After several attempts, that finally worked.