Gigabit network hardware

Dan Lund situationalawareness at gmail.com
Sat May 5 09:23:20 MST 2007

As was said, cat5e/cat6 for gig-e, and of course a gig-e compat card and switch.
As fat as wireless, if you want extra wireless speed you could pony up
the dough for an 802.11N wap.  The problem with those are its either
all or nothing.  You want 802.11G, no N then.

On 5/5/07, David <daz at damnetwork.net> wrote:
> Well, the time has come.  I got my tax returns and now I must upgrade my
> home network.  Currently, I have 100Mb wired with a linksys wap54g for our
> laptops, etc.  I would like to upgrade to Gigabit for the wired and
> possibly something better than my linksys for wireless.
>
> What are the recommendations for switches and NIC's?  Also, how can I tell
> if my current ethernet cables can hang with the new speeds?
>
> /am I showing my network hardware ignorance enough?  :)
> Thanks,
> David
>
> --
> "I find your lack of faith disturbing."
> --Darth Vader
> ---
>   06:31:01 up 42 days, 23:10,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

"Courage is like love; it must have hope to nourish it."
-Napoleon Bonaparte