OT:component level laptop repair places

eric ericlists at gmail.com
Fri May 4 22:03:12 MST 2007

I've seen a few places advertising on eBay as being able to replace
individual chips on the motherboards of laptops in order to fix no
video/no sound/no usb/etc problems, rather than replacing the
motherboard.  It just so happens that I have a Thinkpad R51 with blown
USB and sound (USB controller chip is recognized, power goes to USB
ports, but never any data in or out.  Sound controller is never
recognized, regardless of whether I'm running XP, Vista, Ubuntu,
Knoppix, or Debian).  Anyone have experience with these places?  Are
they legit, and actually stand to save me a decent amount over replacing
the motherboard?

eric