2tb limit?

Mike Garfias mike at garfias.org
Wed May 2 11:54:03 MST 2007

On May 2, 2007, at 11:32 AM, Dan Lund wrote:

> So I have a partition I use for backups and its 52 percent full... I'm
> getting filesystems full errors, and its xfs.
> I was running debian stable until 10 mins ago and put on centos 4.4
> (not 5 because of drivers).  I haven't tried it with centos yet.
>
> I wanted to run it across you guys and see if there's somw 2tb
> barrier?

Filesystem size of a 64bit XFS is 9 exabytes.

Under 2.4 with a 4K page size you're limited to 16TB max file size.
That grows to 64TB max with a 16K page size.  With a 2.6 kernel and
CONFIG_LBD set you're looking at a max file size of 9 million TB.

I don't think your file system is the constraint.  I've had similar
behavior when dealing with failing hardware - that would be where I'd
start first.