Macs Again [was: Re: Old Hardware]

Randy Melder randymelder at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 17:17:16 MST 2007

It's all the same...

On 3/31/07, Kurt Granroth <plug-discuss at granroth.org> wrote:

> Randy Melder wrote:
> > Seriously, OS X is the best desktop available.
>
> An openSUSE 10.2 system running the latest
> KDE with Beryl is untouchable.  Sure, OS X has whizzy effects... but
> they look like baby steps compared to what Beryl can do.

You haven't played with xserve....
http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/leopard/

Say you want to set up your system with apache, mysql, php, squid,
> postfix, clamv, spamassasin, etc.  Could you do it in OS X?  Absolutely!
> But it'll be a minor to major PITA, too.  Just compiling Courier IMAP
> took more than a few patches to the code, if I remember correctly.

http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/mailservices.html

On
> SUSE, all of those packages are click-click-click-done.

Yah, but OS X isn't paying M$ a license fee :-)

Add on a little Codeweaver action and you are covered for those few
> Windows apps that you still need.  Really need a hard-core Windows app?
> VMWare Server is free.

Parallels is $79.

--

http://spindomains.us/