Backups - Offsite solutions -Security Regulations

Bryan O'Neal BONeal at cornerstonehome.com
Fri Mar 30 23:27:13 MST 2007

I have a financial broker that needs offsite backups, but as a financial
institution they have more sensitive information then I am used to
dealing with out side the confines of the government and I am not sure
what needs to be done (legal speaking) to protect the data.  I would
like to slap some cheep server in a cheep colo with an encrypted drive
and just pump automated backups over an ssh tunnel using rsync (Like I
do for my companies backups) but I do not know if there are any specific
security (Physical and encryption) rules that I need to meet.  Rite now
my companies back up server rotates through the homes of the key
players, but I don't think that is a good idea for a machine that holds
non-public information.

I know there are a few of you who work (or worked) for other, larger,
financial institutions.  How did you handle offsite backups?

It's late and been a long day so if this message does not make sense let
me know ;)

Bryan O'Neal
Cornerstone Homes & Development, Inc.
4220 E. McDowell Rd Ste. #108