Macs Again [was: Re: Old Hardware]

Donn dlshumway at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 15:32:30 MST 2007

I just got a 24" iMac for Christmas. It's the first Mac I have ever owned
and I am very impressed. The first thing that bowled me over was when I had
a problem that forced me to call Apple Support. Their suggestion was to run
'Archive and Reinstall' (which turned out to not be necessary). This
effectively archived all my settings and applications, resintalled the OS,
then reinstated all settings and applications. The amazing thing was that it
ran error free and did not cause any subsequent problems. The only other OS
I have been able to do this on is Linux. The quality of the hardware and
software is first rate. I find myself creating content more often because it
is a joy to work on. I would heartily recommend an iMac to anyone.

On 3/30/07, Kurt Granroth <plug-discuss at granroth.org> wrote:

> chip33az at netscape.net wrote:
> > Way off topic, and don't tar/feather me, but I was thinking of getting
> > a Mac for my mother.  Anyone use one?  I haven't used one since college.
> Heh.. there are quite a few Mac users on the PLUG list (myself
> included).  In general, there is significant overlap between Linux geeks
> and Mac geeks.  Go to any Linux conference and count the number of Linux
> laptops.  Now count the number of Mac laptops.  You'll find that the
> Macs outnumber the typical PC laptops by at least a factor of 3 to 1.
>
> For the record, I have three Macs in my house although one is being
> replaced by my new kick-ass 'really-really-really quiet' Linux desktop.
> I tried to put my daughter on a Linux desktop a year or two back and it
> just didn't work out in the long run so she's on a Mac.  My laptop is
> also a Mac... really, once you have a Mac laptop, you'll never want to
>
> Kurt

Donn
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
-- Dave Barry