Old Hardware

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Fri Mar 30 11:45:00 MST 2007

Am 30. Mar, 2007 schwätzte Jon M. Hanson so:

> On Friday 30 March 2007 11:17, chip33az at netscape.net wrote:
>> Does anyone know where I can donate older computer equipment?  Some of
>> it works, some of it doesn't.
>
> Data Doctors branches will accept computer equipment donations on behalf of
> STRUT (students see what they can do with them, if they can be fixed they are
> given to schools otherwise they are properly recycled or disposed of).

The problem is that AZstrut won't consider Free Software. I have tried to
talk to them, but not gotten responses. People who volunteer there have
also tried to get them to consider Free Software ( including one student
creating a branded Ubuntu image ) and they apparently keep ignoring it.

KidComputers is reaching out for using Free Software. I believe they have
been putting OpenOffice.org on the computers for at least a year and now
they've contacted RedSeven and me about moving to GNU/Linux for the OS as
well.

The proprietary OS is costing them $5, so it's the Freedom, not the money
that's driving them. Ron, of KidComputers, is excited about being able to
give away a CD with the software *and* be able to encourage the kids to
make copies for their friends.

Donated equipment that doesn't get used goes to a recycler ( probably the
same one AZstrut uses ). KidComputers then gets some money for the
recycled equipment.

ciao,

der.hans
#  "Dinosaurs return. Want their oil back." -- David Brin