RIP: Linux Community (1991-2007)

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Fri Mar 30 07:58:29 MST 2007

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 11:05:29PM -0700, JT Moree wrote:

> Darrin Chandler wrote:
> > If Linux dies of its own success, it will be because of the mediocrity
> > of its users and their willingness to sell their principles in exchange
> > for a temporary respite and a boatload of empty promises.
>
> That describes most users of computers but not many CURRENT linux users.
>  As Linux is used by more 'users' it will eventually describe MOST linux
> users.  Describes mac users too and Ipod/iTunes users and . . . .

Actually, I'm a bit surprised how many CURRENT Linux users fit in there,
too. More than I would have guessed.

> My cousins for example (have been using a debian system I setup years
> ago) with very few problems.  They don't care what it is.  they just
> want it to work.  Right now it wont automatically mount picture
> cards/usb camera.  (I'm kicking myself for not installing kubuntu before
> I moved).  They'll probably be looking for a different system soon
> because of that.  I'll tell them to get a Mac mini since I'm not around
> to support the linux machine.

This is one reason that I don't personally push open source OSs more
than I do. Done right, I'd need to give them sufficient support to keep
them happy, and provide education as to why open source matters beyond
not costing anything. The support issue is getting easier with slicker
distros and automatic updates. The education part is as hard as it every
was.

Even if they move to Windows or a Mac, hopefully they will have a
positive view of Linux. It's a seed planted. :)

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/