Why we are all here (was Re: audio cd)

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Wed Mar 28 10:39:02 MST 2007

On Wed, March 28, 2007 10:12 am, Nathan Aubrey wrote:
--[clip]--
> guy, (sorry if you're older!). If I had been 14 or 15 when I joined this
> list
> I would have quickly lost my interest in Linux because of the negative
> attitudes of many people I've encountered here over the years. I have been
--[clip]--

This is an interesting perception since mine has been nearly the opposite.

This email list is the most well behaved and friendly I have ever
participated in.  There have been very few (maybe two) discussions since
spring-2000 when I joined that rose to the level of "flame war."  Even
those died rather quickly.  People are highly responsive to requests for
calm.

As a contrasting example, this last week in another email list on a
software development topic, one luminary and well respected author of the
topic was banned by another luminary and well respected author of the
topic.  (Wha???)  I don't know of anything even close to that happening in
this list.

Strong opinions are sometimes stated and disagreements happen, as I hope
they do!  I am just very grateful to this group for maintaining an
admirable level of respect and professionalism during such discussions.

Along those same lines, the noise level of this list is so low, I don't
worry about it at all.  Mike's posts of his successes and failures are,
IMO, a welcome contribution and are few enough that I don't see any harm
to them.  They are, in fact, the seed for many good discussions.

Others are free to disagree.  :^)

Alan