NetworkManager and DNS

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Wed Mar 28 01:07:42 MST 2007

Am 26. Mar, 2007 schwätzte Daniel P. Stasinski so:

> On 3/26/07, Darrin Chandler <dwchandler at stilyagin.com> wrote:
>> I'm not familiar with NetworkManager, but there's a good chance that
>> it's using the normal dhclient under the hood to deal with dhcp. If so,
>> then you should be able to edit your /etc/dhclient.conf a bit and solve
>> this.
>
> From what I can see, NetworkManager ignores all dhclient.conf settings
> and overwrites /etc/resolv.conf on its own.   Rather than mess with it
> further, I'll just comment out the appropriate lines in the
> NetworkManager code.

Does it also ignore setting you make from the GUI?

I just added a DNS server via the DNS tab and it put it in
/etc/resolv.conf.

See also the manpage for resolvconf about the new, dynamic resolvconf
setup that Network-Manager is using.

        /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base
               File containing basic resolver information.  The lines  in
this
               file  are  included in the resolver configuration file even
when
               no interfaces are configured.

        /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head
               File to be prepended to the dynamically generated resolver
con‐
               figuration file.  Normally this is just a comment line.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Wer bereit ist, grundlegende Freiheiten aufzugeben, um sich
#  kurzfristige Sicherheit zu verschaffen, der hat weder Freiheit
#  noch Sicherheit verdient.  --  Benjamin Franklin  (1706 - 1790)