How many OSes on one physical disk?

Patrick C patrick.pxc.c at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 18:13:23 MST 2007

I'm fairly sure you can have an infinite number of logical partitions, once
you make the big extended one that holds all of them. I'm not sure it's
practical or a good idea to give each distro its own boot partition. If I
were you, I'd just let one distro (the one with the prettiest GRUB, duh
[which I've always found to be SUSE]) handle the boot. You might want to
keep one separate boot partition and let one distro handle that, and if you
want to switch which distro is controlling GRUB, just copy the stuff from
the /boot partition to a temporary location, say "/newboot", and then remove
it from that distro's fstab, unmount it, and move "/newboot" to "/boot."

Then you can just install a new distro and let it take over the grub, or
alternatively boot one of your other distros (make sure to reinstall GRUB
from whichever distro you moved the boot partition on, so that the MBR knows
where to look for it!) and do the reverse of the above process. Mount the
partition as something other than /boot, copy the /boot to it, rename /boot
/oldboot, and unmount/remount the partition to /boot, and make the
appropriate entries in the fstab.