Update on VMs under Linux?

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Tue Mar 27 12:32:00 MST 2007

.
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 12:05:39 -0700, vodhner wrote
> Tired of dual booting.  How hard is it, nowadays, to do the following:
>
> 1. Run XP in some sort of emulation or virtual machine under Linux,
>  for light use (mostly MS Word 97).
>
> 2. Have it able to access *existing* NTFS and FAT32 volumes on the
> same box without much finagling?  I've got a fair amount of
> resources that I use from both Linux and Windows.
>
> 3. Have other VMs for use on occasion to tinker with alternative
> Linux distros?  And have them able to access my main Linux / FAT32 /
> NTFS files?
>
> I am willing to pay some money for software to avoid having another box.
>
> I have a 1.3 GHz Athlon cpu and 0.5 GB of memory.  I'm not too
> particular about performance, especially on the Windows side.
>
> I'm also interested in possible virtual solutions at work, to allow
> isolated instances inside a single Linux box for tinkering.  Would
> be cool to run Solaris 10 under Linux too, since our production shop
> is mostly Solaris 10.  Once again, VM performance would not be an
> issue for this purpose.

Vic, I've been running Win4Lin for years on my Mandrake/Mandriva boxes
and it has worked very well for me; although getting a successful
installation of Win4Lin9x on Mandriva 10 with the 2.6 kernel was quite
an ordeal.  I needed to stick with Win98 for a variety of reasons.
Win4Lin pushes (and essentially only supports) Win4Lin Pro now and
it works only with Win XP (not 9x).