NO Sudo Password for smbfs shares How?

Gerard J Snitselaar snits at snitselaar.org
Tue Mar 27 10:32:50 MST 2007

On  0, Wayne Davis <waydavis at cox.net> wrote:
> I have the following in Fstab:
>
> //NAS/UBUNTU          /home/wayne/SMB/NAS-Ubuntu      smbfs
> defaults   0   0
>

> I also have it set up in Samba:
>

> Every time I boot, I have to drop to a terminal and:     sudo mount
> /home/wayne/SMB/NAS-Ubuntu
>
> It asks for a password.

At one point there was an option you put in the entry in fstab named
credentials which pointed at a file containing the username and password
for mounting the smb share.

Something along the lines of:

//test.acme.com/smbshare /smb/test smbfs credentials=/home/jruser/.smbpw,uid=jruser,gid=jrgrp,fmask=664,dmask=755 0 0

.smbpw:

username=domain\user
password=PASS

I haven't done it recently so I don't know if that still works. I imagine
poking about with man should provide the answer.