intro to the desktop

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Sun Mar 25 23:14:00 MST 2007

moin moin,

a couple of years ago I did a desktop class once a month for PLUG. The
class ran for a year.

Recently I've gotten requests to start that class again.

This is the type of thing we've been wanting to do with the new magazine
format for the general meetings. It would be awesome to have 10 to 20 30
minute presentations we could do as part of a series.

I'm going to start something along those lines at the west side meeting
this week.

Since I mostly need desktop for multiple xterms and web browsers I'm not
the best situated to decide what should be in the class.

I figure I'll start with the Ubuntu Desktop Guide.

https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/ubuntu/desktopguide/C/index.html

I will follow a different order, though. For instance, I will likely skip
the file systems part for now. I got a specific request for that from
someone from the west side today, so maybe I won't...

Maybe there are resources at LinuxQuestions or LinuxNewbie we can use.

PLUG needs someone besides me to help us figure out what should be in the
desktop class. We also need people to help us find and/or create content
to be used for the presentations.

The content could be a little document for the instructor on what to walk
through for the presentation. Some things certainly don't lend themselves
to slideshow presentations, plus we have computers to use, so hands on
would be much better in most cases.

We definitely need help from people new to GNU/Linux as you'll have the
freshest perspectives.

ciao,

der.hans
#  "Lie detector eyeglasses perfected: Civilization collapses."
#   -- Richard Powers