OT: Thunderbird on two Windows boxes

Jim arizona.anorak at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 20:18:52 MST 2007

Kurt Granroth wrote:
> vodhner at cox.net wrote:
>> I'm not interested in running my own IMAP server or anything along that line -- it will continue to be POP from Cox.
>
> Just curious... but why not?  No Linux box running 24x7?  Too much
> perceived work?  Other?

Now I'm curious.  I have Slackware on my server.  When I set it up, I
chose to install the IMAP server. All I had to do to get it to work is
uncomment the following line in /etc/inetd.conf

imap2   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  imapd

Have fetchmail set up to check the POP account at Cox every few minutes
and put everything in the mailbox for the account you'll be logging into
on the machine running the IMAP server.  I used to do this on my server.
  Fetchmail would check my mail at my ISP and put any it found into the
mailbox for my user account on my server.  If I was at work and wanted
to check my mail during lunch, I would ssh into my server at home and
use Pine to check my mail.  At home I could use any mail client on
either computer to check my mail.

Since you have a laptop; you could create a second mail account on it.
Use that account to check your mail on the Cox POP server when your
laptop isn't connected to your home network.  Just tell Thunderbird not
to delete any messages it finds there.

Just my 2¢ worth.
--

"That income tax you know it's nothing more than legal robbery"
Sidney "Pa" Larkin