Mailbox Size Limits

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Fri Mar 23 15:34:25 MST 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 08:00 -0700, Nathan Aubrey wrote:
> Pluggers,
>
> I am getting errors on my server:
>
> -- sendmail-largeboxes (large mail spool files) Begin --------
>
>  Large Mailbox threshold: 40MB (41943040 bytes)
>   Warning: Large mailbox: username (61405058)
>
>  -- sendmail-largeboxes (large mail spool files) End -------
>
> What I don't understand, I'm running postfix and the current mailbox size
> limit is 512000000
>
> I believe this is 512MB roughly. I use dovecot for IMAP/POP and there is no
> size limitation with dovecot that I can find. So where am I getting this
> message from? Currently, my mail comes in to postfix, then procmail takes
> over SA filtering and delivers it, so I assume this is a procmail issue?
> Is there a size limit for procmail? I really can't convince people to clean up
> their inboxes, they just aren't listening. I have many many many that are
> over 20 megs!
>
> I'm going to help these people clean them, but in the meantime, I can't find
> any size limitations, so what gives?
----
cyrus-imapd - that's all I'm gonna say about that.

and I see users with 2G Trash because Thunderbird by default 'copies'
all IMAP mail to the 'Trash' folder and once the e-mail is out of the
users' vision, they think that it's gone (but it is isn't really
gone...it's in the Trash folder. My point is, users with a 20MB
mailbox/folder is nothing...I consider that empty.

--
Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com>