OT: Make an ISO of my game CD

Austin Godber godber at no8tech.com
Thu Mar 22 09:27:30 MST 2007

Bryan O'Neal wrote:
> Ok, so I have a CDROM emulator, but I can not make a good ISO.  I have
> tried a few tricks in K3B and tryed using dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=2048
> count=<Volume size> but I get an iso, that contains the files but does
> not work.  The file sizes seem to be the same when looking at an
> individual file, but they read as 628MB worth of files in a 1.7MB iso.
> Any thoughts?

Game CDROMs typically have some sort of copy protection mechanism:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD/DVD_copy_protection

There is software that helps defeat some of these mechanisms but I
wouldn't know what or how specifically.

All I know is I once used "readcd", that comes with cdrecord, to try and
read a MATLAB document CD for the very same reason (having the cdrom in
the drive all the time is a nuisance).  I ran it and told it to retry
forever on any read error.  I think about 45 min later I had a
(physically) cracked CD.  So I had to wait three weeks and pay $15 to
replace the documentation CD.

Good luck.

Austin