NetworkManager and DNS

Nathan Aubrey nathan at paysonlinux.org
Wed Mar 21 09:10:28 MST 2007

On Wednesday 21 March 2007, Daniel P. Stasinski wrote:
> There is an unfixed firmware bug in my DSL modem/router that causes it
> to provide incorrect DNS servers when the DHCP lease is obtained.
>
> Before I started using NetworkManager, I could specify my own DNS
> servers in /etc/resolve.conf but NetworkManager rewrites it with the
> invalid server information provided by DHCP.  Is there some other
> place where I can specify my own DNS servers?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Daniel

the -R option to dhcpcd will stop it from replacing your /etc/resolv.conf
file. Depending on your OS, you can modify your dhcp options and add the -R
option to it, so when NetworkManager pulls the IP, it will not update the
resolv.conf file.

I look in /etc/conf.d or /etc/sysconfig for a file called dhcpcd or something
similar.

Nathan