users accounts that don't save data

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Mar 20 21:35:51 MST 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 09:05 -0700, Nathan Aubrey wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 March 2007, you wrote:
> > ---- Nathan Aubrey <nathan at paysonlinux.org> wrote:

> > > Make sure you have it setup to create their account with pam on login,
> > > then when logging out edit the .bash_logout file to delete their homedir.
> > > When they login again, it will be re-created. Make sure everything they
> > > need to login is ready in the /etc/skel file, including the correct
> > > .bash_logout file
> >
> > you know I thought something like this would work, but after looking at the
> > bash man page for a while, I'm not sure.
> >
> > 1) you would have to make certain when you create the directory that you
> > create a .bash_logout that is owned by root, and that the perms don't allow
> > any other user to edit .bash_logout.
> >
> > 2) also, can you delete a parent directory while reading a file in it? that
> > would be the case if you are executing .bash_logout while trying to delete
> > its parent directory.
> >
> > Jerry
> >

> If the .bash_logout script calls an external script, say
>
> /usr/bin/remove_user $user
>
> Setup the pammkdir to create the users directory with permissions so a user
> can delete his own home folder, then make the /usr/bin/remove_user script do
> a simple check to verify the user requesting the deletion is the same as the
> one who owns the folder.
>
> it should be pretty simple to setup.
----
thanks to all - interestingly everyone seemed to point to .bash_logout
and deleting the users' $HOME

I was hoping to do something more like a Windows 'Mandatory' profile
which is a pre-configured profile but locked though I presume that I
could just keep a copy of that profile somewhere and using .bash_logout,
copy this directory into place of the now logged out home directory.

Craig