Wireless on new laptop

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 15:20:12 MST 2007

On 3/19/07, Josh Coffman <josh_coffman at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ubuntu has a NetworkManager applet comparable to knetworkmanager, which is
> the the applet used in many KDE distros.
>
> Are you using iwconfig to configure your wireless or some other graphical
> tool. The manager applets I've seen sometimes require a '0x' before the
> encryption key and some don't. iwconfig does not accept '0x' prefix when
> setting the key. If you use a gui app, you need to make sure the right
> encryption modes are set.
>
> I'm pretty darn sure the chipset you have supports wep 64/128 (aka
> 40/104). I spent a lot of time working on the wireless when i first put
> linux on my laptop. I came to the conclusion that broadcom chipsets suck and
> my next laptop would use an intel chiipset.
>
> -j

<snip previous msgs>
Agreed.  Josh this is the Intel 3945 chipset  and under Ubuntu 6.10 I was
using network-manager (though it is just called Networking on the
System/Administration menu).  One has no opportunity there to specify an
encryption type.  You have a place to specify whether you are inputting the
key as ascii (i.e. a passphrase) or in hex so I don't think you can enter a
0x prefix (all chars echoed as big dots).  In fact, the snipped code from my
first message the output of iwlist eth1 encryption showed the same key
digits the router/AP shows.

Additional Info:

larry at lapdog2:~$ iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

eth1      unassociated  ESSID:"mariewilliam"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency=nan kHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
          Bit Rate:0 kb/s   Tx-Power:16 dBm
          Retry limit:15   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

sit0      no wireless extensions.

Note the last line (Tx) for eth1 seems to show something about 427 Invalid
misc errors.  No clue what that means but I am sure it is significant.

and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss