Wireless on new laptop

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 14:39:07 MST 2007

On 3/19/07, Anthony Boynes <aboynes at msasolutions.com> wrote:

> Dazed_75 wrote:
> > HP dv6000 dual booting Vista and ubuntu 6.10 (I will write up that
> > story Monday).  Wireless is an Intel 3945abg which is supposed to work
> > "out of the box" with ubuntu 6.10 (driver=ipw3945) but does not seem
> > to be.  I think I have a clue but would appreciate if someone could
> > tell me if I am correct or all wet.
> >
> > I only use WEP on my WRT54GL with HyperWRT (yes, I know how weak it
> > is) mostly to reduce the burden in my TiVo.  Anyway, I have not been
> > able to get the HP to connect wirelessly.  I suspect the 3945 does not
> > support WEP based on this:
> >
> > larry at lapdog2:~$ sudo iwlist eth1 encryption
> > eth1      2 key sizes : 40, 104bits
> >           4 keys available :
> >                 [1]: <correct digits snipped> (104 bits)
> >                 [2]: off
> >                 [3]: off
> >                 [4]: off
> >           Current Transmit Key: [1]
> >           Security mode:open
> >           Authentication capabilities :
> >                 WPA
> >                 WPA2
> >                 CIPHER TKIP
> >                 CIPHER CCMP
> >           Current key_mgmt:0xBFE42568
> >           Current cipher_pairwise:0xBFE42568
> >           Current cipher_group:0xBFE42568
> >
> > I suspect that may also be why it shows the Security mode as open.  If
> > the problem is no support for WEP, I can change.  I just hate having
> > to do it on the TiVo unit.  Can anyone confirm for me?
> > --
> > Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't
> > matter and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss
> The key sizes 40 bits and 104 bits correspond to WEP encryption, so the
> card definitely seems to support it.

If that is true, then I see no reason for it not to be working.  Can't
figure out what I am missing.  OTOH, could it be saying that the key I put
in is the WEP type (40 or 104 bits) rather than that it supports those
lengths because it supports WEP?

If I don't get any other replies, I guess I will try converting everything
to WPA.

As for the security mode, from the iwconfig man pages:

> "The security mode may be open or restricted, and its meaning depends on
> the card used. With  most  cards, in  open  mode  no authentication is
> used and the card may also accept non-encrypted sessions, whereas in
> restricted mode only encrypted sessions are accepted and the card will
> use authentication if available."

Sounds like words that say it may mean this or it may mean something else.
But, yes, I could try restricted just to see if it makes a difference.  BTW,
there is a big difference between the terms encryption and authentication
but a lot of the wireless documentation seems to use the terms sloppily to
say the least.

You can manually set the encryption keys and security mode with