Wireless on new laptop

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 00:53:19 MST 2007

HP dv6000 dual booting Vista and ubuntu 6.10 (I will write up that story
Monday).  Wireless is an Intel 3945abg which is supposed to work "out of the
box" with ubuntu 6.10 (driver=ipw3945) but does not seem to be.  I think I
have a clue but would appreciate if someone could tell me if I am correct or
all wet.

I only use WEP on my WRT54GL with HyperWRT (yes, I know how weak it is)
mostly to reduce the burden in my TiVo.  Anyway, I have not been able to get
the HP to connect wirelessly.  I suspect the 3945 does not support WEP based
on this:

larry at lapdog2:~$ sudo iwlist eth1 encryption
eth1      2 key sizes : 40, 104bits
          4 keys available :
                [1]: <correct digits snipped> (104 bits)
                [2]: off
                [3]: off
                [4]: off
          Current Transmit Key: [1]
          Security mode:open
          Authentication capabilities :
                WPA
                WPA2
                CIPHER TKIP
                CIPHER CCMP
          Current key_mgmt:0xBFE42568
          Current cipher_pairwise:0xBFE42568
          Current cipher_group:0xBFE42568

I suspect that may also be why it shows the Security mode as open.  If the
problem is no support for WEP, I can change.  I just hate having to do it on
the TiVo unit.  Can anyone confirm for me?
and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss