where do old programmers go?

Gerard J Snitselaar snits at snitselaar.org
Thu Mar 15 23:36:41 MST 2007

On  0, Josh Coffman <josh_coffman at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I'm a programmer, and i'd like to know where old programmers go. I'm wondering because I don't see a lot of 55+ programmers and I want to be prepared for the future.
> Some might say I'm still young (30's), but now is probably the time to plan for the next 20-30 years of my career.
>
>     Does everyone get sucked into management, quit IT, or find quiet jobs in the corner where no one notices?
>
>     btw, no offense to anyone. old programmer and being old are not the same thing.
>
> -j

Catching up on my plug list reading.

All the other people in my group at work are over 50 and still coding. I am
the young pup at 35. Most of the group at one time worked on Multics and GCOS
for Honeywell, before moving to Stratus. I think a couple have held some
management positions at one time or another, but for the most part they have
been programming all those years.