GPS and mapping

Kevin Brown kevin_brown at qwest.net
Wed Mar 14 23:53:05 MST 2007

> Someone was telling me about Microsoft Streets & Trips and it comes with a
> cheap GPS deal. Obviously Streets & Trips won't run in Linux, but it got me
> wondering. Does anyone use any kind of GPS software in Linux with a GPS
> device? What do you use?

GPSDrive and Roadmap have come a ways since I first installed them.
Roadmap takes advantage of the of the TIGER data provided free from the
US Census Bureau.  Both GPSDrive and Roadmap also have a means of
importing data from http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Main_Page.
Neither of them have full navigation support (e.g. enter start and end
points and they show you how to get there), but both are working on it
as a major must-have goal.