Dell GNU/Linux survey

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Wed Mar 14 14:30:27 MST 2007

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 02:07:21PM -0700, Alex Dean wrote:
> der.hans wrote:
> >
> > www.dell.com/linuxsurvey
> >
> I'd love to see more openness to non-commercial Linux.
>
> Most of our Linux servers (at the Arizona Republic) are Dell.  A few of
> us wanted to use Debian instead of Red Hat for a few web servers.  Our
> Systems group checked with our Dell rep, and got back some serious FUD
> about the idea.  Dell only supports Red Hat Enterprise and SUSE
> Enterprise.  Among other things the rep said we'd be forced to "rely on
> the 'community' for support".  Horror!
>
> I don't mind supporting Red Hat.  They are huge contributors to Linux
> development, so if we can send some of our IT budget to supporting that
> work, I think it's money well spent.  It just bugs me that Dell reps are
> selling RH with fear tactics.

These issues ARE actually on the survey! Surprising, yet true.

Dell may have had some negative feedback about what you're describing.
Go make your voice heard, since they're asking.

--
Darrin Chandler                   |  Phoenix BSD Users Group
dwchandler at stilyagin.com          |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/