OT:Reset Toshiba BIOS password?

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Sat Mar 10 19:13:20 MST 2007

I am lost today.  My new notebook won't let me in!  The long story is
below.  To sum up, the BIOS password is now set to an unknown value.
Anyone have any thoughts on how to clear this password without voiding the
warranty?  If not, I must wait till Monday to take it into the authorized
repair place.

Long Story

I left the computer on all night, as I have done before.  This morning the
LEDs were all lit as expected, not blinking and the screen was blank, as
usual.  However, the computer was completely unresponsive.  No key press
or mouse movement would bring life to the screen.

Holding the power button for 4 seconds turned off the power.  On reboot
the BIOS gave two errors:

WARNING
0251: System CMOS checksum bad - Default configuration used
ERROR
0280: Previous boot incomplete - Default configuration used

Press <F1> to resume, <F2> to setup

This is where I made the mistake for immediate recovery, I think.  I
pressed F1 to resume.  It next asked for the BIOS password, which I had
never set.  Clank!  I'm locked out by an unknown password. (Note to self:
ALWAYS PRESS F2!)  Anyway, here I sit using web mail on the desktop with
all my data inaccessible on the laptop.  Not a good day in this regard.

Alan