Qwest.net and 2wire gateway

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 7 08:09:51 MST 2007

I seem to recall you can put a server in a DMZ with the 2wire.

Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote: On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 07:40 -0700, Nathan Aubrey wrote:
> I just got Qwest DSL and they assured me I could run a web server and email
> server on my qwest.net service, it's business services. I got everything
> setup with my static ip's, but I cannot connect to the boxen from the outside
> world. nmap shows port 22 being open, but ssh just sits forever and never
> gives any kind of error or anything. Does anyone have experience with these
> 2wire boxes? Is it not routing properly or something? The tech support guy
> for 2 wire connected remotely and set it up the way it should be, but when I
> said it still wasn't working, he said it wasn't his problem and hung up...
> seriously.
>
> I'm thinking trying to get qwest to send me the actiontec, but I doubt I'll
> get anywhere with the indian tech support.
----
The one and only time that I played with the 2-wire I came to the
conclusion that the router device is designed for a residential use and
that the only way to put a server fully out on public ip space was to
configure it to use DHCP and then use the Qwest 2-wire software to
assign a static IP to the DHCP system. It was stupid, pointless and not
usable for normal business usage.

I am fairly hard core in network setup where I want to run my own DHCP,
BIND, fixed IP addresses on servers & printers and the Qwest 2-wire
modem simply doesn't cooperate with my standard configuration
methodology.

Craig

Keith Smith
A link from my website to yours