samba and xcopy

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Tue Mar 6 11:10:45 MST 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 17:36 -0700, Jerry Davis wrote:
> we have a file share on linux at work.
>
> in the smb.conf file I have a share called data
> In the [data] section, I have force group = g1, and force user = u1
> in the /data partition I have the owner set to u1 and group to u2
>
> from windows:
> 	I can do a mkdir and it works
> 	I can copy a file into that dir and it works
>
> 	BUT, when I use xcopy to copy a bunch of directory/files recursively it
> 	gives me an access violation.

----
I'm not in front of a Windows system but I have done this I'm sure and
don't recall any issues other than permissions problems - which is
probably the issue you are facing.

I often use setgid on Samba shared directories so new folders inherit
the group and sometimes use the umask options in samba to set the umasks
of created files/folders, of course depending upon the needs.

Your question is a bit vague to answer with any certainty.

--
Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com>