LDAP database

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Tue Mar 6 11:07:33 MST 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 10:09 -0700, Nathan Aubrey wrote:
> Is is safe to compress an ldap database or a mysql database for archival
> purposes?
----
I'm gathering that the reason that you are asking is because you want a
backup of the binary blob data files which in both cases is probably the
least desirable method of backing up.

A decent backup for either mysql or ldap would be a mysqldump or slapcat
which would be a text file which could be piped to tar to simultaneously
dump the data and compress it and I wouldn't be surprised if mysqldump
had a tar/zip function built into it's client software to do this on the
fly.

--
Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com>